Media representation and public communication of science
One of the important public activities that I have been involved in for several years is the communication of science to the general public, journalists, and college and school students in Denmark and internationally. I am a frequently invited speaker at national and international forums, including professional conferences, educational institutes, social organisations, science festivals, and TV and radio stations. Some major media representations are listed below, and also can be seen in my list of publication of books for general communication.
see some of my videos by going to my video page by clicking here….
For the media and journalists…..
I have quite a lot of experience in interacting with journalists from all kinds of media – TV, Radio, Print-media, Internet and more…, where I can explain and express complex issues related to ageing, anti-ageing, healthy ageing and longevity. I think that journalists have a special flair for presenting things in an interesting and attractive manner, and therefore as a scientist, I love to collaborate with them for the correct presentation of our ideas and achievements.I have appeared in several TV programmes on the Danish, British, American and Indian channels, and numerous write ups based on different aspects of my research have been published in popular magazines.
Something new: I have started to write a blog series titled LIVING IN OLD AGE, which can be accessed at ThriveGlobal by clicking on the links here
An interview-based write up on me by Sumithra in FUTURE MEDICINE (India); Feb/March 2014)
A nice long interview with me can be read on the Lab Times website by clicking here
A radio talk on Super Human Radio, USA. 19 February 2014;
click on the link here to go directly to the interview (only first 57 minutes is my part)
A write up about my ideas in the popular science magazine LONGEVITY, published from South Africa (click on the link here)
A general public lecture on the science of healthy ageing made for the Danish Academy (Danskernes Akademi) Aarhus University, and shown on Danish TV, first time on 17 December 2012
[vimeo clip_id=52676975 /]
Powerful, science-based anti-aging skin care…, Medical Observer, Philippines, April 2012
Embrace timeless skin, in: Cosmetic Surgery and Beauty, Malaysia, issue 4, 2011, pp. 38-39
New Strait Times, Kuala Lumpur, Malyasia write up by Aneeta Sundararaj, based on my interview, titled Science and Spirituality of Ageing (10 October 2011).
Vaxin For Youth coverage in international media (from August 2010 onwards)
News of Honorary Doctorate from the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, on Aarhus University sites (17 September 2010)
- in English: click here to go the news page
- in Danish: click here to go the news page
- Some writeups on new skin care products (Givenchy’s Vaxin for Youth) based in my ideas on hormesis and hormetins, see links for Daily Mail (UK) or other writeups 1 here, and 2 here, 3 here
- A 30-min “walk-and-talk” TV interview about Healthy Ageing, in Punjabi in Sidhu Show, for Sada Channel USA, first telecast on 18 August 2010.
Some recently published book with my short biographical sketch: –
- Helse, (Health magazine in Danish) interview-based write up Ældre mødre har stærke gener (Older mothers have stronger genes)?; by Christina Alfthan; Nr. 5, June 2010.
- An international web-seminar (webinar) given on “Hormesis and Aging”, on bequest of the International Dose Response Society, and Aarhus University, 18 February 2010; it can be seen on Aarhus University’s podcast library by clicking here
[embedplusvideo height=”367″ width=”604″ editlink=”http://bit.ly/1fcUu6r” standard=”http://www.youtube.com/v/PWUoTQFKoN4?fs=1″ vars=”ytid=PWUoTQFKoN4&width=604&height=367&start=&stop=&rs=w&hd=0&autoplay=0&react=1&chapters=¬es=&emb=0″ id=”ep1515″ /] A clip from a TV programme on Danish TV DR2 (20 January 2009) interviewing Dr. Suresh Rattan, Biogerontologist, Aarhus University Denmark, about his formula for eternal life and eternal youth.
[embedplusvideo height=”367″ width=”604″ editlink=”http://bit.ly/1fcUu6r” standard=”http://www.youtube.com/v/wWn4eiEURy4?fs=1″ vars=”ytid=wWn4eiEURy4&width=604&height=367&start=&stop=&rs=w&hd=0&autoplay=0&react=1&chapters=¬es=&emb=0″ id=”ep1515″ /] A clip from a Danish TV programme with Dr Suresh Rattan, Biogerontologist, on the role of mild stress as an anti ageing and rejuvenating approach. This programme was telecast on DR1 on 20 January 2009.
- Various print and TV media in Russia covered my lecture given at the St. Petersburg Institute of Oncology, November 2009.
- Videnskab.dk, interview-based write up Det gør søvnen ved kroppen?; by Sybille Hildebrandt; 14 March 2009; http://www.videnskab.dk/content/dk/krop_sundhed/det_gor_sovnen_ved_kroppen
- Danish TV programme “Viden Om” on “Stress gør ung og livet langt”, (Stress keeps young and life longer”) shown on DR2, 20 January 2009. http://www.dr.dk/DR2/VidenOm/Programmer/Viden+Om+med+Ann+Marker/Programmerne/2009/0113103049.htm
- or watch the two clips on YouTube: on hormetins and on a formula for eternal life.
from Polish and Danish popular science magazine
- Videnskab.dk, interview-based write up Hvorfor holder vi op med at vokse?; by Sybille Hildebrandt; 25 November 2008; http://www.videnskab.dk/content/dk/sporg_videnskaben/hvorfor_holder_vi_op_med_at_vokse
- Videnskab.dk, interview-based write up Gen-nyheder er sjældent sensationer; by Thomas Hoffmann; 26 September 2008; http://www.videnskab.dk/content/dk/teknologi/%C2%BBgen-nyheder_er_sjaldent_sensationer%C2%AB
- Denmark’s Radio Programme 4 (DR-P4); Interview: En smule stress er sundt nok; broadcast on 26 May 2008.
- Metro Express, (Daily Newspaper, in Danish); Interview-based write up Den lille stress gavner helbredet; by Mille Christensen; 22 May 2008; pp. 11.
- TV interview on Healthy Ageing, JusPunjabi TV Channel, New York, USA, 01 May 2008.
- Media coverage of my research in Videnskab.dk; interview based write up Stress er Sundt by Sybille Hildebrandt; on the Danish science website Videnskab.dk; 29 April 2008.
- Public lecture “Aldringens gåde: hvorfor kan vi ikke leve evigt?” (The Mystery of Ageing: why can’t we live for ever?”, given under the series of lectures arranged by the Natural Science Faculty, Aarhus University; 12 February 2008.
- Nyhedsavisen, (Daily Newspaper, in Danish); Interview-based write up Natteroderi med små born kan styrke kroppen; by Rikke Berg; 08 May 2007; pp. 06.
- Dagbladet Information, (Daily Newspaper, in Danish); Interview-based write up De gamle vil også være unge; by Malin Schmidt; 09 March 2007; pp. 04.
- Nyhedsavisen, (Daily Newspaper, in Danish); Interview-based write up 60-årige har kroppe som 30-årige, by Christina Alfthan; 01 March 2007; pp. 01.
- BBC Radio-Five, (British Radio); Live interview and discussion with Simon Mayo, on Immortality and Healthspan; 06 February 2007.
- Campus (Aarhus University’s newspaper); an interview-based write up Stress kan forlænge dit liv, by Sys Christina Vestergaard; 24 April 2006; pp. 07.
- The Economist (English magazine); Nyhedsavisen, (Daily Newspaper, in Danish); Interview-based write up Natteroderi med små born kan styrke kroppen; by Rikke Berg; 08 May 2007; pp. 06.
- Videnskabskafeen (Science Discussion Forum); Panel discussant for Forgænglihed – krop, tabu og viden, Århus Kunstbygning, 22 November 2006.
- Campus (Aarhus University’s newspaper); an interview-based write up Netværk gav job, by Sys Christina Vestergaard; 31 January 2005; pp. 04.
- DR2 TV (Danish national TV), interview-based science programme Videnom: Den gode stress”, broadcast on 03 May 2005;
- JP-Århus (Daily newspaper, in Danish), an interview-based write up Ny forskning i sund stress, by Rye; 21 December 2005; pp. 04.
- Metro Express, (Daily newspaper, in Danish); Interview: Sundt stress; 20 December, 2005; pp. 02.
- The Times (Daily newspaper, London UK, in English), an interview-based write up Heat it to treat it; by Jerome Burne; 11 October 2004; pp. Health7.
- Q (fashion magazine, in Danish), an interview-based write up Besat af alder, by Q-journalist; July 2004; pp. 81.
- iForm (fashion magazine, in Danish), an interview-based write up Give kroppens celler en udfordring by iForm-jornalist; 2004; issue 13.
- Børsen Weekend (Daily newspaper, in Danish), an interview-based write up Stress udsætter alderdommen; by Ole Troelsø; 19 March 2004; pp. 2-3.
- Dagbladet (Norway’s daily newspaper, in Norwegian), an interview-based write up Stop aldringen innenfra!; by Gunhild Bjørnsti; 30 September 2002; pp. 2.
- Århus Onsdag (Weekly newspaper of Aarhus, in Danish); a write up about Suresh Rattan, by Allis Michelsen; 19 January 2000; pp. 30-31.
- Ud & Se (Danish railway’s magazine, in Danish), an interview-based write up Alderdommens gåde; by Thorstein Carlskov; April 1998; pp. 6-11.
- Natur & Videnskab (Popular science magazine, in Danish), a write up Hvorfor kan vi ikke leve evigt; March 1998; pp. 82.
- MåBra (fashion magazine, in Swedish), an interview-based write up Se ut som 30 vid 60, by Charlotte von Proschwitz; December 1997; pp. 70-71.
- Aftonbladet: hälsa (Health magazine, in Swedish), an interview-based write up Nyt mirakel, by Charlotte von Proschwitz; 1997; pp. 16-18.
- Jyllands Posten (Daily newspaper, in Danish), an interview-based write up Genernes guru, 1997.
- Femina (fashion magazine, in Danish), an interview-based write up Jagten på evigt liv, by Lisbeth Holst; March 1996; issue 11, pp. 128-130.
- European Hospital Magazine (EU health magazine, in English), a write up on The molecular links of ageing and disease; vol. 3, issue 2, 1996; pp. 60-61.
- NYH:S (Health magazine, in Danish), an interview-based write up Generne er nøglen til alderdommens gåde, by NYH:S journalist; December 1995, pp. 26-28.
- LIFE (US magazine, in English), quoted in an interview-based write up The war on aging, by Brad Darrach; October 1992, pp. 36.
Between 1986 and 1992, several interviews were held for the national and international TV and Radio channels, on the discovery of kinetin’s anti-ageing effect